Disaster Supplies Kit
- Hearing Protection
- Hand Protection
- Head Protection
- Rain Jackets & Suits
- High Visibility Garments
- Eye Protection
- First Aid & Emergency Products
- Hydration Products
Floods cause more damage and death than any other extreme weather event in the U.S. They can strike just about anywhere, from coastlines to deserts; and in the case of flash floods, you only have minutes to react -- so it's crucial to prepare ahead of time.
Click here to view our floods flyer or contact your local branch to learn more about Fastenal's available emergency services.
Planning, Preparing & Responding
Whether you are planning, preparing or responding to a flood, Fastenal has you covered.
Before the Flood
- Elevate the furnace, water heater, electrical panel, and critical equipment.
- Install check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up.
- Construct barriers (levees, beams, floodwalls, etc.) to stop floodwater from entering your facility.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.
- Stock up on drinking water and other emergency supplies.
During the Flood
- Turn off utilities at the main switches and valves.
- Don't attempt to walk or drive through moving water. Six inches of moving water can knock you over, and two feet of moving water can carry away most vehicles.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if wet or standing in water.
- Monitor radio or TV for weather emergency information.
After the Flood
- Avoid floodwater. It may be contaminated and/or electrically charged.
- Service damaged septic tanks and other sewage systems as soon as possible.
- Clean, disinfect, and dry everything that got wet.
Stay in Business
- Assemble a Kit
- Make a Plan
- Stay Informed
Establish a safe room, escape routes and meeting places. Keep emergency phone numbers on hand and designate someone to communicate with employees, customers and suppliers.
Sources: US Department of Commerce, FEMA, and the American Red Cross