Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control
DEFINE: Determine the current state of your process...
- Bring teams together to discuss objectives and challenges
- Collect historical data to quantify current procurement system costs
- Map a complete path of product, from identified demand to material receipt
MEASURE: Collect data...
- Enter all possession and acquisition costs to create a baseline total cost
- Graph baseline cost as a starting point to measure future improvements
ANALYZE: Use the collected data to identify waste...
- Review the current state process and determine which steps are non-value-added
- Review 6S audit to avoid any missed opportunities
- Identify sources of waste (8 Central Wastes)
- Create a future state summary that previews how the process will work once non-value-added activities have been removed; compare current state vs. future savings
IMPROVE: Discuss potential improvement opportunities and begin implementation...
- Present current state findings and recommended implementation to stakeholders
- Begin implementation process improvements
CONTROL: Create an environment that promotes sustainability and continuous improvement...
- Establish quarterly meetings to review progress and drive continuous improvement
- Use meetings to present cost savings documentation and 6S material for future savings opportunities