Waste Reduction Programs, Fleet Sustainability & Energy Savings
- Waste reduction programs for lamps/ballasts, dry cell batteries and mercury containing devices. This program is offered to our customers as well.
- Waste reduction programs for rechargeable batteries of all types. This is a free program that Fastenal utilizes internally as well as offers to customers.
- Waste reduction programs for ink and toner printer cartridges. This is a free program that Fastenal utilizes internally as well as offers to customers.
- Internal recycling programs for cardboard, plastic, aluminum at our distribution centers.
- Pallet return program: Unused pallets are returned from stores and damaged pallets are repaired for reuse throughout distribution, in select locations.
- Reduced packaging efforts at select distribution centers with our new automated storage and retrieval system (ASRS). Reusable totes are used in place of cardboard boxes with this new system. Reduced packaging efforts are also currently underway for incoming, high volume products.
- Electronic accounting practices
- IT Replacement and Recycling Strategy
- Utilize GIS to design truck routes in pursuit of optimal routing efficiency and mileage minimization
- Introduced Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicles in select locations to lower fuel costs and emissions
- LED lighting upgrades in our Winona offices
- Distribution centers have been retrofitted with energy-efficient lighting systems
- Store locations are audited and upgraded to energy-efficient lighting systems, where applicable